Thursday, June 9, 2011

Killdeer Nature Study, OHC


We are doing Animals and Their Worlds by Winterpromise, so I combined our OHC walk with it.  We are studying Woods.  We had to shake a branch and draw what fell off of it.


The bird we chose to study is the Killdeer.  It is not in our yard, but in our neighborhood.  Everytime we take a walk, we hear him yelling at us and walking around acting like his wing is broken.  The girls loved watching him.

In Barb's June newsletter, I printed off the Bird Study Grid and we tried to see who would win Tic-Tac-Toe first on their grid.  They really loved it.  In fact I just wanted them to do one thing from each box, they wanted to all the things in each box!

One of their tasks was to tally birds at the feeder.

They saw their first Ruby Throated Hummingbird for the summer this way. 


Joy-Bug's Journal page

Gracie-Girl's page
Heather



Don't forget to work on your Tweet and See for June.  Just keep a list of all the birds you see this month, write a post and link up here on the last day of the month.

2 comments:

  1. Heather,

    Your entry made me smile. I love that the Bird Study Grid helped encourage your family to do a lot of bird observations. Great job on your journals! I have not seen a killdeer before but I have read about their behavior which sounds fascinating. Thank you so much for sharing your entry with the OHC.

    We are keeping our list for Tweet and See!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great idea to shake a branch and see what falls. My son would love that!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to interact with comments! Register with blogger so you can leave some comment love today!

Related Posts with Thumbnails