Thursday, January 13, 2011

52 Books 52 Weeks, #2

Book 2 for week 2 is Cry the Beloved Country, by Alan Paton. This book was recommended to me by one of my good friends who is a Literature professor at our local college. Click here to see the Meme I am participating in, which provides the accountability I need.


The only word I could say as I put it down each time throughout my reading it was….

PROFOUND.

This is one of those books that you should buy and put into your personal library,  not just check out from the library. You need to buy it and mark it up with all the great quotes and insights for loving your enemies as yourself.


WOW.

The main premise is an Episcopalian priest in South Africa in the time just after WWII. It is his walk and personal battle though his own apartheid beliefs and the realities of the violence and hatred between whites and blacks during that time period. It is also an analysis of the breakdown of the tribe which is connected to the breakdown of the family. But it is also a message of hope and movement of the Lord in the midst of the darkness. It shows loving your neighbor as yourself, whatever your color.

I am going to throw out some quotes that really made me think things at a new level.

Pg 56 “The tragedy is not that things are broken. The tragedy is that they are not mended again.”

Pg 103 “There are times, no doubt, when God seems to be no more about the world.”

Pg 111 “For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much.”

Pg 120 “For a moment he was caught up in a vision, as a man so often is when he sits in a place of ashes and destruction.”

For the record, this is my third 20th century book in the last few weeks. I am gaining great insight from the century I grew up in. I encourage you to make a plan this year to read a few of these books.

Heather

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting! When we get to the 20th Century in our studies again, Orville will be 8th/9th. I'll need your recommendations. This sounds like a good one.

    I'm impressed by how you're keeping your reading goals!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to interact with comments! Register with blogger so you can leave some comment love today!

Related Posts with Thumbnails